General Manager North America
Our client develops highly innovative Medical Devices for Minimally Invasive Surgery that provide superior clinical performance and utility. Privately held and rapidly expanding, the Company has a robust R&D pipeline and is well positioned for sustained growth. The Company has high expectations for continued expansion and increased revenue generation through new product introductions and greater efficiencies of their commercialization operations.
The Company is well resourced, highly focused and committed to sustained growth. Candidates must be comfortable with the demands of driving a small company’s growth and be compatible with an entrepreneurial environment that requires a hands-on-approach.
The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors (including company President/Owner).
The role is responsible for overall commercial operations including directing a Director of Marketing/Training, three regional sales managers and an expanding independent sales force currently consisting of approximately 40 sales reps located throughout the United States
An undergraduate degree is required. An MBA will be looked upon favorably.
A highly credible, high impact individual with impeccable integrity and professional discipline is essential. The successful candidate will be an independent minded, analytical thinker, with a fact based decision making style capable of persuading and building consensus. Candidates must possess strong organizational leadership, motivational, presentation and communication skills. The ability to effect and implement change in the present while developing and building for the future is critical. They must have a strong desire to grow themselves and an organization. The person selected must have the capability of commanding the respect of MDs, and other Clinical Practitioners, as wells as the company’s R&D personnel.
The General Manager will be responsible for expanding and driving commercialization efforts in North America that include both organizational development and the execution of Sales & Marketing Strategies to expand product adoption, market penetration and increase sales. This will include reviewing and rationalizing current efforts, developing the processes and infrastructure to build and grow related functional areas, and allocating the resources to support the company’s expansion appropriate for each stage of growth.
- The scope of the role includes management of sales efforts and revenue contributions via direct and independent sales representatives in North America to the physician office and hospital marketplace. The focus is on sales leadership, sales processes, training, increasing market penetration and product usage, setting pricing, compensation, distribution and channel strategy, and implementing effective metrics and reporting mechanisms that drive top and bottom line contributions.
- Developing a strategic sales plan that emphasizes business planning and implementing a reporting structure focused on standardized processes and accountability that drives growth and profitability.
- Develop strategies and plans for market development: awareness development, promotions, sales programs, physician education programs and communications, public relations, pricing, etc…
- Achieve sales and other appropriate measures, including sales targets within product/market segments within each reporting period. Recruit, lead, develop, and retain a high performance sales team driving relentless focus on the core activities that lead to growth and market expansion. Provide strategic and tactical direction to the sales organization.
- Conduct field visits with direct and independent sales representatives with appropriate action plans and follow up. Spends approximately 50% of time in the field with sales personnel.
- Works closely with the Director of Marketing & Training to develop and execute sales, training, and marketing programs.
- Develop plans to ensure successful introduction of new products and broader adoption of existing products
- Clinical support, studies and registries
- New product development
- Project/Sales support
- Customized Product Solutions
- Develop and implement “educational” strategies to inform surgeons and physicians about the availability and clinical utilty of the Company’s products. These may include booths at large Medical and educational physician conferences and presentations at surgical sites.
- Managing domestic regulatory issues (CPT, FDA, etc.)
- Communicate to and coordinate activities with headquarters and the Global Commercial Director.
Candidates should posses the following experience, abilities and attributes:
- A minimum of 10-15 years experience in the Medical Device Market, preferably General Surgery, including 3-5 years Field Sales Management, and 3-5 years at the Sales Director level.
- Knowledge of accounting for non-accountants and experience with CRM.
- Experience in varying business environments including small/mid-size companies, preferably with prior development stage experience.
- They must be able to understand the clinical application of Products and have the skills to develop and articulate the technical and business argument to expand and defend market share.
- Strong contacts in the Medical Surgical Device professional communities. Should be experienced in cultivating relationships with and gaining the endorsements of Key Thought Leaders, Medical Advisory Groups and Industry Associations.
- Must have good analytical skills and experience at making decisions based on data and analysis.
- Flexible, performance oriented and ability to deliver under time and financial pressures.
DESIRED QUALITIES & DELIVERABLES
The Company is seeking an executive with the experience, business acumen, drive and entrepreneurial spirit to lead their transition to a marketing driven organization.
- Must be ethical and moral.
- The ideal candidate will be a well- organized, creative, strategic thinker equally capable of tactical execution and driving results.
- The candidate selected will be an effective and persuasive communicator able to articulate unique ideas and perspectives.
- The preferred candidate will be self motivated and entrepreneurial, and must be comfortable operating in an environment where resources come with incremental growth.
- The Company desires a leader with strong interpersonal and people management skills that engenders high expectations and performance.
- The Company is seeking an individual who can be an effective ambassador to the industry and someone able to establish the rapport and respect necessary for building strong relationships with key industry leaders and practitioners to influence product utilization and enhance market development.
- Candidate must be able to identify business and market opportunities and be capable of fostering strategic alliances and agreements with key industry organizations and thought leaders.
The complete package will include a highly competitive base salary and incentives that include performance bonuses, an attractive benefits program and relocation.
Mr. Larry Glines
39 South LaSalle Street, Suite 714
Chicago, IL 60603